We stand at the edge of a precipice.
Humanity has almost filled the cup of God’s wrath with its wickedness – how many sins remain until the cup is full? God is about to act swiftly and decisively. Life as we know it is going to suddenly and permanently change. Every single human being on the planet will be affected.
It is in God’s character to issue warnings before acting in judgment. He gives signs heralding His interventions on the earth.
Indeed, the Lord GOD does nothing without revealing His counsel to His servants the prophets. (Amos 3:7)
God has only issued global judgment one other time – in the days of Noah. At that time, He called Noah forth to be a preacher of righteousness. Noah preached of the upcoming flood while he built the ark over a number of decades. It does not specify how long the ark took to build, but we can assume a long time frame – up to 120 years (Gen 6:3) – given that it was done by hand and with little help. The ark bore witness as a warning, accompanied by Noah’s declarations according to the Word of God.
The Bible tells us that the upcoming judgment of the earth by fire will be “as in the days of Noah”, when the world was judged by water. This alludes to a few different things, but in this post I will focus on the warning aspect. Let’s look at warnings issued by God pertaining to his upcoming time of wrath on the whole earth (the Day of the Lord) – for further details on each sign, click on its name:
- The Fig Tree sign – Jesus tells His disciples that when they “see the fig tree leaf out”, they would know that the time of His coming was near. Many prophecy scholars agree that this sign refers to Israel’s rebirth in May 1948.
- Israel Reborn – Regardless of whether or not the fig tree refers to Israel, Israel’s rebirth as a nation after 2000 years of not being one is a flashing neon light! The Kingdom of Heaven is Near!!!
- Jerusalem Recaptured – Jerusalem features heavily in end times prophecy. The 6 day war of 1967 was very significant prophetically!
- Jewish Aliyah – Along with the re-establishment of Israel as a physical/political nation, God’s chosen people are foretold to return to the Promised Land. This has been slowly but surely occurring over the last 120 years or so, with approximately 45% of the world’s Jewry living in Israel at this time.
- The Third Temple – We know from the book of Daniel, the gospels, and Revelation that there is a functioning Jewish Temple during the “70th Week of Daniel”. While the Temple has not yet been built, the plans have already been drawn up, Levite priests have been trained, and Temple equipment/furniture made.
- Apostasy in the Church – It seems that as we approach Christ’s second coming, churches will fall away from preaching sound doctrine. Instead, they will focus on a social gospel that “tickles men’s ears” (tells them what they want to hear to feel good).
- Immorality in Society – Society will move further and further away from God and His laws/morals. We see this most clearly in the last several decades through Abortion (1.5 billion since 1980), Homosexuality (general worldwide acceptance in non-Muslim nations), and Human Euthanasia (legal in some nations, including Canada).
- As in the Days of Lot – Society will be marked by violence, homosexuality, and sexual immorality.
- As in the Days of Noah – Society will be marked by violence, DNA manipulation, and sexual immorality.
- Knowledge Will Increase – In the latter days, people will travel “to and fro” and knowledge will increase. We are approaching a “technological tower of Babel” situation!
- The Gospel Will be Preached to All Nations – While there are still unreached people groups within nations, the gospel has been successfully taken to all nations around the globe. The gospel will continue to be preached during the coming times of tribulation.
- God’s 7000 Year Calendar – While God is outside of time, He has allotted humanity 7000 years. We are nearing the brink of 6000 years – the last 1000 years will be Jesus’ Millennial Kingdom!
- Specific Wars are Predicted – There are a number of prophetic wars that will occur during the time of the end. As the players maneuver into position, we can see that the time is near.
God issues warning signs that His wrath is near. He also uses signs in the heavens as announcements:
And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years… (Genesis 1:14)
- God announced the arrival of His Son to the world the first time through a great star sign – the Star of Bethlehem. This, of course, was the birth of Jesus.
- It appears God may be announcing the “birth” of the church (it’s rapture/redemption) also through a great star sign. Recently it has been discovered that the sign in the sun, moon, and stars described in Revelation 12:1-2 is set to appear in the sky on September 23, 2017. Labor pains are often used to describe the beginning of the “end times”.
- There are many who believe the total solar eclipse over the USA on August 21, 2017 is a final warning to Gentile nations.
- If there is a mysterious Planet X, God has created it and appointed it for a specific purpose.
God also issues mathematical verification of His arrival to those who pay attention:
- Jesus’ triumphal entry was foretold in the 70 Weeks of Daniel prophecy. This is why Jesus mourns over Jerusalem…they should have known on that very day that He is their Messiah.
- Ezekiel’s 430 Days of Laying – It appears that the rebirth of Israel, to the very year, was foretold 2500 years ago through the prophet Ezekiel.
- The Generation sign – Jesus also tells His disciples that “this generation will certainly not pass away before all these things are accomplished”. The phrase “all these things” encompasses the signs He just mentioned, including the fig tree sign, the events during the “tribulation” (Day of the Lord), and His second coming. Many prophecy scholars agree that this sign refers to the generation being born during the time of Israel’s rebirth, and that this specific generation will not die before Jesus’ second coming. The length of a generation is defined in Psalm 90 as 70-80 years.
- It appears that certain dates may point to the advent of Jesus – both His first and second comings – in the mathematics of the Great Pyramid. The angles in the corridors of the pyramid point to certain stars/constellations only on specific dates and years. Interestingly, September 20, 2017 is one of the contenders.
It is impossible to keep track of all the signs heralding that the Kingdom of God draws near. Several of the signs are very specific, and many of the signs are more general. While prophecy scholars disagree on the finer points of how it actually may play out, they do agree that the convergence of signs on our generation is significant. Across the entire span of humanity – religious and nonreligious alike – there is a hushed sense of imminent change. Even secular society can’t help itself and unknowingly points to the time of the end.
Sometimes there is resistance to looking for signs from God. As 1 Corinthians 1:22 states, Jews seek after signs, and Gentiles seek after human wisdom. Opposition claims that “signs” are given to Israel, not gentiles. This is actually true, for the most part. The Revelation 12 sign will be visible from Jerusalem. The fig tree sign, Israel’s rebirth, Jewish aliyah, the Third Temple, all have to do with Israel. The Star of Bethlehem was given to Israel. But, it was the GENTILE MAGI who paid attention to the star sign. These wise men traveled far with exceedingly great gifts to give the King announced by the star. Israel should have been watching Jesus closely from the moment of His birth. The angels’ announcements, the miraculous conception, the fulfillment of His birth in Bethlehem… all these were obvious signs. Signs which apparently went largely unnoticed. While the signs may be meant for Israel, they are not hidden from gentile eyes.
Jesus gives the command repeatedly – WATCH! This is for all who call on His name, all believers. We are to be AWAKE and READY at all times. I say to you again – WATCH!
The Bible is infallible. I am not. Be a Berean – examine the scriptures for yourself to see if these things are so!