One of the most helpless feelings is knowing that the return of Jesus is near and that there are people you love who are spiritually unprepared. Only those who are sealed by the Holy Spirit (spiritually born again) will be caught up to the throne of God to follow the heavenly track known as the “Day of Christ”. Those left behind on earth will face unimaginable horrors during the “Day of the Lord”. While this will be the most difficult period of time known to humanity, have courage. God needs witnesses during this time, and how do you know that God has not prepared and elected your loved one specifically for this time and purpose?
While we cannot truly know anyone’s heart but our own, I believe I have loved ones who will be left behind. As such, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I can do to help them, while I am still here.
The Bible tells us that this time of trouble will come suddenly and unexpectedly, “like a trap“, “birth pains“, “a thief in the night“. It appears that it will be marked by sudden worldwide earthquakes, volcanic explosions, and tsunamis. The church will be snatched up to heaven immediately as this begins, so you don’t need to prepare for yourself if you are a believer. However, those left behind will need food, water, shelter, medicine, and clothing. Even more important than these, however, is eternal salvation.
- Pray that God would elect them for eternal salvation in His Kingdom. I don’t know how the whole free will / election works, but I don’t believe we need to fully understand it to ask God to elect our loved ones.
- Pray that they would survive the catastrophic events that will surround the rapture/seals opening. Pray that they will survive long enough to repent and be saved.
- Pray that God would open their eyes to see through satan’s deception. We are told in 2 Thessalonians 2 that satan has a grand deceptive plan that will kick into place as soon as the Restrainer (Holy Spirit through the church) is removed. He is preparing it right now as I type this.
- Pray that God would have mercy on their souls and spare them from His deluding influence (2 Thessalonians 2).
- Ensure you have a Bible available for them to find. Consider flagging the books of Revelation, Matthew, and Daniel.
- It would be helpful to leave information on what to expect; what will be coming on the world. It’s entirely possible they won’t have electricity (no email, internet, phones). So try to have a book (my #1 suggestion would be When God Intervenes by Douglas Berner), printouts (webpages), or this book (Red Moon Rising) is available for free online and you could print it.
- Clean water will be scarce. Purchase some bottled water and keep it in a secure location.
- Fill freshly washed water storage containers with clean tap water and store these securely as well.
- Ideally you want at least 1L of water per person per day, but they will have to ration.
- Consider buying a water sterilization pen/system.
- Consider buying a standalone water filtration system (I chose a Brita jug with filters). This won’t take out bacteria, but it can remove ash and larger particles from rainwater, snow, etc.
- Consider buying rain collecting barrels.
- Ensure there are clean cloths (this can even be torn up old cotton shirts) to filter water through.
- Purchase a bottle of plain, unscented bleach that they can use to purify water. Print this chart and tape it to the bottle:
- Again, because I believe the rapture will be on the Feast of Trumpets, and that the Day of the Lord will start that same day, I will fill all our freshly cleaned and rinsed bathtubs with water right before the Feast of Trumpets.
- Squirrel away high nutritional value foods that store well and don’t need cooking.
- protein bars
- canned beans
- canned meats
- dried meats (beef jerky etc)
- peanut butter
- nut and seed butters (almond butter, tahini etc)
- boxed cereals
- granola bars
- canned fruit (no sugar added)
- canned vegetables
- dried 100% fruit, fruit bars
- I also laid my hands on and prayed for our fruit trees/shrubs to be spared, that they would provide sustenance throughout the coming times of trouble.
- shelf milks (almond, coconut, etc)
- this is not a critical food group
- consider calcium gummies for children
- Baby formula if needed
- Pray that their shelter (house where they live) would be specifically spared from the events of the Rapture / Seals opening (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis).
- If you can, go through their (your) house and anoint every doorframe and every window with olive oil (I make a cross) as you pray. Dedicate each room and level to God to use for His plans and purposes. In our basement I asked God specifically that not a crack to the foundation would occur. On the main floor I asked for all walls to be secure. On the top floor I prayed for not a shingle to be touched. All this I prayed in the name of Jesus Christ, so that the gospel could be declared and the house would bear witness to God for His glory.
- Pray that your loved ones will have access to shelter throughout the coming times of trouble.
- It is likely that your loved ones have access to clothing, as that’s quite plentiful these days. Ensure they have standard clothing in correct sizes, taking into account growth (kids – we just don’t know if kids will be taken) and weight loss (due to famine).
- Ensure there is clothing available that would be useful in the event of colder weather (ash in the atmosphere can drop temperature considerably). Boots, coats, mitts, hats, etc.
- I believe the rapture will occur on the Feast of Trumpets, so will ensure that all laundry is washed and dried right before that day
- medications refilled
- emergency medications as needed
- a plan for essential medications (i.e. thyroid medication – natural remedy includes dessicated animal thyroid; check online or with your natural health food store)
- face masks (for germs as well as ash)
- medical gloves in appropriate sizing
- goggles (for ash)
- bleach (for germs, can also be used in water)
- dish soap
- clean cloths
- hydrogen peroxide
- antibiotic cream (Polysporin)
- bug spray
- tylenol / advil
- benadryl (antihistamine)
- emergency kit
- tensor bandage
- disinfecting wipes
- baby wipes (these are so useful for cleaning hands!)
- doggie poo bags – it’s entirely possible that toilets won’t work
- garbage bags – sanitation services may be discontinued, but garbage will have to be bagged to prevent illness
- diapers if needed
- matches, lighters
- firewood, fire pit
- tinfoil (for cooking on fire)
- lots of batteries
- lots of blankets
- hand crank radio
- hand crank flashlight
- shovel (for dirt, ash, snow etc)
I’m sure you can find other lists on emergency prepping websites. Many of these things are good to have on hand all the time anyways, as you should be prepared to survive 72 hours completely self-sufficiently in the event of power outages, severe storms, etc. I would try to prepare for at least a month.
Basically you want to think about a worst case scenario and basic survival. Anticipate having no electricity and no way to contact anyone or obtain anything. Then throw in a bunch of crazy people and unpredictable weather. There will be natural disasters but also dead bodies, infectious disease, and lack of sanitation.
Preparations will only last so long. Pray that your loved ones won’t be deceived, and will repent and be saved. Again, don’t be discouraged, but have faith. Where the gospel is preached, God’s Spirit moves. The book of Acts is a great record of this! Pray that your loved ones will be anointed with the Holy Spirit to preach and teach the gospel. Pray for endurance and faithfulness and the salvation of many through their witness.
I really feel like God laid on my heart something I call the “Elijah Box”. In a time of severe famine and drought, God provided for Elijah supernaturally through a jar of flour and jug of oil that miraculously refilled day by day. He provided in this way after all hope was gone. I am sharing it here in case God will relent and spare those we love through supernatural means, for the sake of His glory and for the sake of His kingdom. We know that some saints will survive and make it through the time of tribulation to enter and repopulate the Millennial Kingdom. Perhaps the ones we love have been elected for this purpose – and what a great purpose that would be!!!
Replace all contents every night and close box.
1 Kings 17:7-16
7 And after a while the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land.
The Widow of Zarephath
8 Then the word of the Lord came to him, 9 “Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you.” 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, “Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.” 11 And as she was going to bring it, he called to her and said, “Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand.” 12 And she said, “As the Lord your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die.” 13 And Elijah said to her, “Do not fear; go and do as you have said. But first make me a little cake of it and bring it to me, and afterward make something for yourself and your son. 14 For thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the Lord sends rain upon the earth.’” 15 And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days. 16 The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the Lord that he spoke by Elijah.
God impressed upon my heart to make an Elijah box for specific people. In the box is:
- Two bottles of water (1L total)
- One small jar of peanut butter
- Two fruit bars
- One jar filled with cereal
- A printout of 1 Kings 17:7-16 as above
- Instructions stating that the contents are to be consumed each day, then all empty packaging/bottles should be put back in and the box closed every night. They should pray over the box each night, trusting God to provide for the next day.
On the top of the box I believe I am to write “Holy to the Lord”, as well as strict instructions to only open when all hope is gone. I will tie it shut with a ribbon.
Holy To The Lord
Open only when all hope is gone
If you prepare a box like this for your loved ones, it doesn’t have to include the same contents. God provided oil and flour for Elijah and the widow. I was just trying to pick basic things that provided protein, vitamins, and carbs.
Once you have filled the box, anoint it with olive oil and pray over it. Pray like you have never prayed in all your life. Then set it aside, hidden somewhere safe, to be found after you are gone.
Pray fervently. Pray passionately. Pray with all the faith God has given you. Jesus is near, at the very gates.
The Bible is infallible. I am not. Be a Berean – examine the scriptures for yourself to see if these things are so!